Monday, April 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 73°

Sports in Brief: Football recruits

mike_bloomgren_courtesy_scoutcom_col
Photo by Kyle Terada | and Kyle Terada The Rice Thresher
April 11, 2015; Stanford, CA, USA; Stanford Cardinal offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren during the spring football game at Stanford Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

By Andrew Grottkau     1/10/18 12:11am

New football head coach Mike Bloomgren signed the first players of Rice’s 2018 recruiting class during college football’s early signing period. The Owls added six players in all: defensive end Miles Adams, cornerbacksAndrew Bird and Jason White, offensive linemen Cole Garcia and Clay Servin and linebacker Ja’Quez Brattley. All six players hail from Texas and are two-star recruits according to 247Sports.

Bloomgren and his staff will continue to fill out the class leading up to the second signing period in February. One of the notable Rice commits is running back Brenden Brady, who competed in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl this past week in San Antonio. The game honors some of the top high school football players in the nation.

Four other recruits are planning to sign with Rice alongside Brady in February. The Owls are also looking to add more commits before the next signing period opens. Bloomgren said he is looking forward to completing the 2018 class over the next month.

"It's been an exciting couple of weeks, but today is a great start for us," Bloomgren said. "We feel great about the five young men who signed today [Note: offensive lineman Cole Garcia signed the following day]. I can't wait for our staff to get back on the road as soon as we can to lock down the players who will complete the class."

Millora-Brown to transfer; Kreider to leave for new job

Rice men’s basketball will experience a shakeup in both its player roster and staff next year. According to multiple anonymous sources, freshman center Quentin Millora-Brown has entered the NCAA transfer portal with intent to transfer and assistant coach Chris Kreider has left his position to join Georgia State University as an assistant coach.

RPC releases revised Beer Bike results

Will Rice College won the men’s Beer Run while the Graduate Student Association claimed victory in the alumni and women’s bike races in Rice Program Council’s revised Beer Bike results released last week.