Wednesday, June 19, 2019 — Houston, TX 81°

Editorial: SA resolution on international students aligns with important university goals

This past Monday, the Student Association discussed a resolution proposed by Martel College senior Danna Ghafir and SA President Justin Onwenu that would aim to fulfill Rice University’s goal of diversifying the international student population. The resolution focuses on socio-economically disadvantaged international populations in particular, and urges Rice to join the International Education’s Syria Consortium for Higher Education in Crisis. The goal is to provide more aid to international prospective students and also conduct outreach to some areas that may not know about Rice.

We commend Ghafir’s and Onwenu’s proposal, especially in light of President Leebron’s stated goals for his Vision for the Second Century II, which also aimed to expand and enrich Rice’s international student community. As Ghafir noted during the legislation’s introduction, Houston is home to many refugees who could very well wish to attend Rice, but have either no accessible knowledge of the school or no economic capability to do so (or both). If Rice truly hopes to form a student body both representative of and enriching to its broader community, then this resolution is a certain step toward achieving such an outcome.

The SA will vote on the resolution this Monday.

Companies need to remember the inclusion part of diversity and inclusion

Companies should strive to go beyond “quotas” for underrepresented groups as their measure of diversity and inclusion. Diversity and inclusion are reflected in how marginalized groups are treated by others, the opportunities available to these groups and the amount of respect given to a person’s voice. Even if a company has an equal demographic split, can they really say they are diverse or inclusive if select people experience bias or lack opportunities for success?