Tuesday, June 25, 2019 — Houston, TX 89°

​Martel, Lovett victorious in Powderpuff playoffs

powderpuff_jiayi_lyu_col

By Joshua Anil     11/15/17 4:23pm

Screaming fans, sweat-stained jerseys and leather pigskins. There was some serious football played this past weekend, not just at Rice Stadium. Powderpuff playoffs began this week with Martel College facing Duncan College and Will Rice College facing Lovett College in the quarterfinals.

Martel 7, Duncan 6

In the north college matchup, Duncan started the game with a touchdown on its first possession but was unable to convert the extra point. The game then became a defensive battle, keeping the score 6-0 Duncan until the fourth quarter. Martel managed to score late in the fourth quarter and converted their extra point to take a 7-6 lead. Duncan drove down the field in the final two minutes to try for a game-winning score, but the Duncan quarterback was picked off in the end zone by Martel junior Sadie Richardson, ending the game. Martel came away with the 7-6 win and will advance to the semifinals against undefeated McMurtry College.

Lovett 13, Will Rice 0

Lovett defeated Will Rice in a south college quarterfinal game on Monday night in a rematch of a 25-12 Will Rice regular season victory. Lovett scored two touchdowns en route to a 13-0 win, one in each half. Lovett sophomore Sarah Lasater led the team in receiving. Will Rice was unable to score; Lovett sophomore Emily Klineberg picked off a pass on fourth and goal with two minutes left in the game. Lovett will advance to the semifinals to take on Hanszen College.

Edit Nov. 16, 2017: As exact statistics are not kept in Rice Powderpuff, the article has been updated to reflect that Lovett sophomore Sarah Lasater led her team in receiving. A previous version of this article stated that Lasater had over 100 receiving yards.

Graduation 2019: Rain distracts but fails to disrupt

Class of 2019 graduates came to Saturday morning’s commencement with their caps, gowns, stoles and umbrellas. Despite forecasted downpours and the proposed alternative venue of Tudor Fieldhouse, both Friday and Saturday ceremonies were held outside. Like their matriculation ceremony four years ago, the graduates saw rain fall as they were granted their degrees. 

Martel College senior Muna Uzodike to speak at graduation

“I truly believe we find our unique purpose in that space, because no one can be copied to the T,” Uzodike said. “We have a lot to bring to the table and I just want to remind people that no matter what space they find themselves in, they should never abandon the traits, gifts or skills that make them unique.”