Saturday, April 20, 2019 — Houston, TX 60°

Students must act responsibly and respectfully when attending public parties

By Shree Kale , Beril Uzmen , Kelly Yu and Mike Hua     11/28/17 11:16pm

When people say Archis live in Anderson, they are right. In fact, the architecture students treat Anderson Hall as their home and use Architectronica as a way to share their home and space with the entire university. It is a privilege for the Rice community to have free parties that are open to all students and furthermore, in this case, to use an academic building to host a public.

There is an amount of sacrifice and planning that goes into hosting and running any event of this size. Both graduate and undergraduate students had to leave their workspace rather than work on their final projects to accommodate the party. It took three hours of setting up, 33 hours of lighting preparation the week of and months of planning to make Architectronica possible. The belligerent and immature behavior of some attendees was disrespectful to everyone who put in work as well as all of the patient partygoers who were unable to attend the event.

Everybody who attends a public party has an obligation to act responsibly. If we want the privilege of having these events on campus, we should take time to reflect on our actions and their consequences.

– Shree Kale (Duncan College sophomore), Beril Üzmen (Jones College sophomore), Kelly Yu (Wiess College sophomore), Mike Hua (Duncan College senior)

From the editors’ desk: Farewell

For the last four years, we have spent every Monday night upstairs in the Rice Memorial Center, neglecting schoolwork, social events, friends (as our suitemates can attest) and even our own birthdays to produce the weekly newspaper that shows up in your college’s commons every Wednesday.