Sunday, June 16, 2019 — Houston, TX 78°

Students must act responsibly and respectfully when attending public parties

By Shree Kale , Beril Uzmen , Kelly Yu and Mike Hua     11/28/17 11:16pm

When people say Archis live in Anderson, they are right. In fact, the architecture students treat Anderson Hall as their home and use Architectronica as a way to share their home and space with the entire university. It is a privilege for the Rice community to have free parties that are open to all students and furthermore, in this case, to use an academic building to host a public.

There is an amount of sacrifice and planning that goes into hosting and running any event of this size. Both graduate and undergraduate students had to leave their workspace rather than work on their final projects to accommodate the party. It took three hours of setting up, 33 hours of lighting preparation the week of and months of planning to make Architectronica possible. The belligerent and immature behavior of some attendees was disrespectful to everyone who put in work as well as all of the patient partygoers who were unable to attend the event.

Everybody who attends a public party has an obligation to act responsibly. If we want the privilege of having these events on campus, we should take time to reflect on our actions and their consequences.

– Shree Kale (Duncan College sophomore), Beril Üzmen (Jones College sophomore), Kelly Yu (Wiess College sophomore), Mike Hua (Duncan College senior)

Graduation 2019: Rain distracts but fails to disrupt

Class of 2019 graduates came to Saturday morning’s commencement with their caps, gowns, stoles and umbrellas. Despite forecasted downpours and the proposed alternative venue of Tudor Fieldhouse, both Friday and Saturday ceremonies were held outside. Like their matriculation ceremony four years ago, the graduates saw rain fall as they were granted their degrees. 

Companies need to remember the inclusion part of diversity and inclusion

Companies should strive to go beyond “quotas” for underrepresented groups as their measure of diversity and inclusion. Diversity and inclusion are reflected in how marginalized groups are treated by others, the opportunities available to these groups and the amount of respect given to a person’s voice. Even if a company has an equal demographic split, can they really say they are diverse or inclusive if select people experience bias or lack opportunities for success?