Monday, July 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 85°

Letter to the Editor: Listen carefully

By Maurice Wolfthal     9/13/16 10:32pm

To the Editor:

Kyle Sheehan calls himself "fiscally conservative" and "a non-interventionist." But, Donald Trump has called for a huge increase in military spending in the tens of billions of dollars. And, he said he would do that by cutting the safety net. Trump repeatedly said he supports the use of torture against "our enemies." And, he has boasted that he would "do what it takes" to wipe out ISIS. Do torture and "do what it takes" sound non-interventionist?

Listen carefully to what this candidate is saying.

Maurice Wolfthal

A new coffee shop on the first floor of McNair Hall is projected to open for business this September, according to Peter Rodriguez, dean of the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. According to Rodriguez, several external vendors are currently competing for a contract. Whichever vendor is selected will choose the baristas who will staff the coffee shop and the types of coffee and food offered, Rodriguez said.

Graduation 2019: Rain distracts but fails to disrupt

Class of 2019 graduates came to Saturday morning’s commencement with their caps, gowns, stoles and umbrellas. Despite forecasted downpours and the proposed alternative venue of Tudor Fieldhouse, both Friday and Saturday ceremonies were held outside. Like their matriculation ceremony four years ago, the graduates saw rain fall as they were granted their degrees.