Sunday, July 21, 2019 — Houston, TX 83°

Letter to the Editor: I will not vote for Trump

By Jed Greenberg     9/21/16 8:52am

In a past article on the Rice University College Republican’s choice not to endorse Donald Trump, I stated that Trump’s picks for the Supreme Court are reason to support him. Though true that such potential justices as Don Willett of Texas would interpret laws in a way that I believe benefits conservative causes, I will not vote for Trump.

This primary season, I worked for the Jeb Bush campaign, and intend to write Jeb onto my ballot. While I believe Trump’s supreme court picks would help steer this country in the right direction, his inexperience and inability to work with others outweigh the value of his nominations.

I said what I did to show that one can support Trump for reasons having nothing to do with hate or ignorance. Too often conversations over dinner at the servery become a sanctimonious dogpile of who can hate on Trump the most, and I think it is important to hear both sides.

American politics are nuanced. We have two candidates trying to appeal to many different interests. There are infinite reasons, good and bad, to support either candidate. We must make a conscious meticulous effort to engage civilly with our peers and make dinnertime conversations great again.

Jed Greenberg

Jones College '19

Companies need to remember the inclusion part of diversity and inclusion

Companies should strive to go beyond “quotas” for underrepresented groups as their measure of diversity and inclusion. Diversity and inclusion are reflected in how marginalized groups are treated by others, the opportunities available to these groups and the amount of respect given to a person’s voice. Even if a company has an equal demographic split, can they really say they are diverse or inclusive if select people experience bias or lack opportunities for success?