Sunday, June 16, 2019 — Houston, TX 78°

Campesino Coffee brings color to Montrose

By Thresher Staff and Melody Yip     2/22/16 9:11pm

Montrose might as well be a coffee shop neighborhood. A new place called Campesino Coffee House recently opened on Waugh Drive two weeks ago. It’s a faded brick house outlined with streaks of bright turquoise and fuchsia that’s been refurbished into a quiet, mellow java nook with numerous rooms. Small tables, booths, a counter and plenty of comfy sofas organize the large space, creating a bit of a maze along with the vintage, quirky decor. For those wanting to camp out for a day of studying, never fear — there is a multitude of outlets.

Campesino has attracted much attention with a unique menu that aims to bring a bit of Latino coffee culture to the table. Instead of the typical sleek, minimalist brews that coffee purists love, you’ll find beverages ranging from horchata lattes to Mayan mochas flecked with cayenne pepper and paprika. Cafe de olla, fragrant with cinnamon and sweet piloncillo, is served in round earthenware mugs. For non-caffeinated options, try the chan (hibiscus lemonade chock full of chia seeds) or vampiro juice (beet, carrot and orange juice).

I noticed that Campesino loves beet juice because the barista actually suggested that I try a beet juice-infused mocha. A marriage between V8 and chocolate? But the baristas insisted on its top-notch taste, so I caved. (Tip: Nondairy milks offered are coconut and almond.)

The drink was a stunning hue, a brilliant magenta tinted a bit dark. It tasted slightly earthy with subtle notes of chocolate, but the coffee dominated the flavors. Think smoky yet sweet with a nice, creamy consistency. The unexpected pairing of java with beets proved to be a beautiful, delicious match. I can already see myself guzzling down lots of these in the future. After all, masking vegetables in my coffee seems too good to be true. For a trip outside the Rice hedges, check out Campesino Coffee House for grungy vibes and suave, Latino-style drinks that’ll keep you company as you tackle the books.

Address: 2602 Waugh Dr. Houston, TX 77006

Vampire Weekend expertly packages insight and maturity on new album ‘Father of the Bride’

The second half of the album departs from the sunshine of the first half by evoking more somber, contemplative tones. Tracks “Sympathy” and “Sunflower” experiment with electronic synth and funk influences. As a result, Vampire Weekend’s effort to synthesize different genres with their trademark indie rock at particular points in the album is highly appreciated, and saves Father of the Bride from becoming a sidekick to Modern Vampires. 

Ktru Outdoor Show delivers eight hours of sunny entertainment

On Saturday, the Central Quad came alive as a multitude of students and community members gathered on picnic blankets for the 28th annual ktru outdoor show. The show, lasting eight total hours, featured a diverse mix of acts from the quirky indie duo Coco & Clair Clair to the intimidating performance of Kilo Kish. 

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall.