Houston’s best late-night bites

By Walden Pemantle     11/4/15 4:20am

It happened to me once. It was past midnight, I was downtown and I was hungry. After being turned away at multiple bars (I swear, I just wanted some food), I went home and made myself a greasy bag of microwave popcorn. Don’t let it happen to you.

Houston has great food, but all too often when it’s late at night and you really want it, the good grub is nowhere to be found. These four spots have excellent food, convenient locations and, if you’re still awake when they close (if they close), you either have an orgo exam tomorrow or some serious insomnia.

The Best of Downtown:

The Flying Saucer

705 Main Street

For late-night munchies when you’re stuck downtown, The Flying Saucer might just be ideal. Open until 2 a.m. on weekends, the bar has a laid-back vibe and impressive list of satisfying sandwiches, appetizers and drinks. Specialty hot sandwiches like the Sheboygan side-by-side brat and Boar’s Head French dip go especially well with the extensive list of craft beers.

Worth the Drive:

Moon Tower Inn

3004 Canal Street 

When I said that these places were conveniently located, Moon Tower was the exception. Nestled among a block of warehouses in the Second Ward, you’ll probably never find yourself in the neighborhood. Nevertheless, Moon Tower’s wild game hotdogs and incredible appetizers are among the best bar food in Houston. Open until 3 a.m. on weekends, with a monster wall of 66 beers on tap, Moon Tower is well worth the drive regardless of whether you go to drink, eat or both. 

Closest to Campus:

Mai’s Restaurant

3404 Milam Street 

There’s something almost miraculous about Mai’s. Open until 4 a.m. on weekends, Mai’s boasts an encyclopedic menu of Vietnamese, Thai and other Southeast Asian specialties. Occasionally the food can be badly over-seasoned, but friendly service, late hours and sheer vastness of the menu make it an easy choice if you don’t want to stray far from campus. 

The Classic Spot:

House of Pies

3112 Kirby Drive

This Rice student mainstay has earned its reputation. Excellent diner food, anytime breakfast and, of course, pies, are all draws for House of Pies. Open 24/7, the restaurant is a serious upgrade from the Waffle Houses and Whataburgers you might otherwise end up in.