Soccer extends unbeaten streak to five games

By Michael Kidd     9/9/15 3:30pm

After starting the 2015 season off with a loss in the home opener, the Rice soccer team has not experienced a loss since. 

On Thursday night, Rice battled against Southern Methodist University to end with a 1-1 tie in double overtime. The Owls played again Sunday night and were victorious over Southeastern Conference opponent University of Arkansas by a score of 2-1. With a 1-0-1 weekend, Rice now has an overall record of 4-1-1 in the season. 

With a cast of newcomers to the 2015 squad, the first-year Owls and the veteran players have seemingly had no problems linking up. In Thursday afternoon’s game against SMU, six new players contributed valuable minutes against the Mustangs for the entirely of the 110-minute match. In the 21st minute, SMU forward Lauren Guerra redirected a bouncing ball out of a crowded penalty area and into the back of the net for a 1-0 advantage.

Rice remained scoreless for the first half, but after the intermission, came out vying for the tying goal in the 54th minute. Junior defender Jenny Fichera took a corner from the right side of the field and drove a bending ball into the box. Freshman midfielder Gabby Martinez rose up and connected with a shot on goal to tie the game at 1-1. That was the 10th assist of Fichera’s career and the first collegiate goal for Martinez. Despite outnumbering SMU in shots 25-11 and in corner kicks, 7-2, the game’s final score was a 1-1 draw. 

On Sunday night, the Owls hosted the Arkansas Razorbacks for the first time in the last 28 years. Arkansas, known for being a physical team, had some opportunities in the first half but the combination of the Owls’ defense and sophomore goalkeeper Zoe Pochobradsky squandered their attempts. With a long run starting just shy of midfield, senior forward Lauren Hughes managed to get enough space to fire a shot from outside the penalty area and connect with the bottom corner of the net to put Rice ahead 1-0. 

Following the first half, Arkansas continued to come out firing but Rice held strong. Riding the momentum of squandering the Razorback opportunities, Hughes and freshman forward Annie Walker completed a sequence that led to a second goal. After a lead pass out to a streaking Hughes by the near sideline, Walker continued her run into the box to anticipate a cross. Hughes drove a ball low into the box while Walker scored off a header. Hughes, with 36 career goals, was credited with the assist on Walker’s first career goal. With over 35 minutes to play remaining, Arkansas continued to fight and got one goal back in the 78th minute of the match following a corner set piece. As play got more physical in the final 12 minutes of the match resulting in yellow cards given to players from each side, Rice managed to hold on and secure the 2-1 victory. 

According to Head Coach Nicky Adams, the team needs to finish on their opportunities.

“We are creating so many chances but we are not putting them away,” Adams said. “For us to get to the next level we’ve got to put them away.”

Adams said the team succeeded against one of the more physical opponents they will face this season.

“We knew with Arkansas coming in [that they are] one of the most physical, direct teams that we are going to face all year,” Adams said. “They never fail to prove how dangerous they are … so I’m really proud of this team for playing 90 minutes of just pure battling.” 

Walker said her first career goal was one of the best moments of her athletic career.

“Basically I just sprinted as hard as I could to get into the box after I hit [Hughes] on the outside and when I looked up, it was there [so] I dove and it went in,” Walker said. “Under the lights, playing against a team like Arkansas [with an] awesome crowd here today … It was definitely one of the coolest goals of my life.”

Martinez, who scored the only goal in Thursday’s matchup, said playing under veteran leadership has helped her early in her career.

“Fichera served in an amazing ball and I was lucky enough to be able to get a head on it and it went in which felt amazing,” Martinez said. “Playing with [Hughes, Hargreaves and Fichera] helps me so much. They have so much experience … and I’m grateful and blessed to be able to play under them.”

Rice will play their next four matches on the road. Beginning this weekend, the Owls face off against the University of Dayton in Dayton, Ohio on Sept. 11 followed by Miami of Ohio University on Sept. 13.