Breakfast opens 15 minutes early

By Charlie Paul     9/30/15 5:00am

Students struggling to fit that most important meal of the day in before an 8 a.m. class can now enjoy a more relaxed breakfast thanks to a change in servery hours. Both West and Baker Serveries have begun opening their doors at 7:15 a.m. for continental breakfast, according to Student Association Senator Hannah Todd.

“I have a lot of student ideas that I hope to achieve, and this one just seemed really important to me,” Todd, a Wiess College sophomore, said. “You should get your breakfast and start your day right.”

Though only Baker and West Serveries currently offer these early hours, Todd said there is a possibility of expanding the new hours if students show significant interest.

“[Baker and West] are the ones that are the closest to the quad,” Todd said. “It’s sort of like a trial run, to look and see how many people are going to this. I think [Housing and Dining] is trying to look and see who’s swiping at those times … If it seems that more and more people are pushing for this, then it could be something [campus-wide].”

The freshman class was the impetus behind this change. According to Todd, the idea had come up before but never as strongly as it has from this year’s New Student Representatives.

“I heard some of my [New Student Representatives] talking this year about it,” Todd said. “It seemed like something we could talk about at least.”

According to Jones College freshman Alfonso Morera, who is enrolled in an 8 a.m. General Chemistry class, this is a welcome change.

“It’s super helpful because now I don’t have to rush while eating,” Morera said.

Sid Richardson College freshman Connor Meaux also appreciates the change.

“I was having a lot of trouble making it to my 8 a.m. social psychology class with the 7:30 breakfast,” Meaux said. “Baker opening earlier will be really helpful.”