Houston mayor honors Ping with "Y. Ping Sun Day"

By Andrew Ligeralde     6/25/15 7:57pm

Houston Mayor Annise Parker officially designated April 23, 2015 as Y. Ping Sun Day in honor of the Rice University representative and Houston community leader. City councilwoman Ellen Cohen presented Sun with the proclamation at the fifth annual Girl Scouts’ Success to Significance luncheon this April on behalf of Parker, who was out of the country.

The proclamation reads, “The city of Houston commends and appreciates Y. Ping Sun for setting an example for Houston’s young people, particularly young women, by succeeding academically and professionally and giving back to her community generously.” 

Throughout her 11 years in Houston, Sun has held leadership positions at Rice and in the Houston community, including, among many others, advisory board member at the Shepherd School of Music and the Kinder Institute for Urban Research, trustee of Texas Children’s Hospital and board member of the Asia Society Texas Center and the United Way of Greater Houston.

The proclamation notes Sun’s dedication to the Houston community, in particular her involvement with the Youth Leadership Forum and Early Matters, a coalition working to increase civic awareness and investment in early childhood education.

Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council CEO Mary Vitek said on the council’s website that Ping’s efforts have contributed greatly to her organization.

“Ping has been a longtime supporter of Girl Scouts and has used her personal and professional success to make a positive investment in our community. For that she is truly an inspiration to our girls, volunteers and supporters, and we are grateful to recognize her as our 2015 honoree,” Vitek said.

Sun, who is of counsel with Yetter Coleman LLP, had previously been named Texas Executive Women’s “Woman on the Move,” “One of the Most Powerful and Influential Women in Texas” by the Texas Diversity and Leadership Council and one of the “50 Most Influential Women” by Houston Woman Magazine.