New podcast covers Rice athletics

By Maddy Adams     2/18/15 4:05pm

The Rice community has a new digital source for Rice athletics news, a podcast dedicated to Rice sports coverage. Duncan College sophomore Jeremy Reiskind and Wiess College senior Trevor Caswell founded the podcast, JR and Caz, this January. The podcast is updated weekly and consists of four segments, including an update on Rice athletics, an interview with a student athlete, a debate between Reiskind and Caswell called “The Struggle” and a preview of upcoming events in Rice Athletics.

Reiskind said he and Caswell hatched the idea at the end of last semester.

“Last semester, [Caswell] and I really enjoyed talking about Rice Athletics,” Reiskind said. “We thought, ‘why not turn this into something bigger?’

Reiskind and Caswell have released four episodes of JR and Caz. The show tackles issues on a large and small scale of collegiate athletics. 

Reiskind said they interview a new Rice student athlete each week to give listeners an idea of what it’s like to be a Rice student athlete.

“We try to give insight into the lives of some of the Rice athletes,” Reiskind said. “We try to bring in an athlete to give insight into Rice Athletics in general, and more specifically on their one sport.”

According to Caswell, the pair created the podcast in the hope to improve their communication skills while generating interest for Rice athletics.

“This podcast is a way Jeremy and I can improve our communication skills on air,” Caswell said. “We want to highlight Rice sports and its athletes and satisfy our passion for talking sports.”

According to Caswell, he hopes that JR and Craz experience will translate into his future career.

“I am trying to become a sports information director for a college athletics program,” Caswell said. “I see my radio skills as a way I can eventually positively impact my team.”

According to Reiskind, the Rice community benefits form the podcast.

“We have heard positive feedback from students who enjoy hearing us speak about Rice athletics especially in this successful time,” Reiskind said. “People also love hearing the interviews with the athletes since it isn’t something that happens

everyday.

JR and Caz releases a new podcast weekly on Thursdays. The podcast can be accessed at https://soundcloud.com/trevor-caswell.