Surprise your bored S.O. with Houston's hottest date ideas

8f59aeba9135291fe4224136f94660e1
Flying high on an air-balloon ride

By Kaylen Strench, Arts and Entertainment Editor     11/5/14 3:29am

It’s fall, and love is in the air. There’s no better time than now to ask that special someone in your life on a romantic date, whether you’ve been together since high school or have just exchanged glances in class. Let’s be real, though: Planning good dates is hard. You definitely could take your crush out to Thai Village, but you’re fancier than that. But you’re also a broke college student, so it’s not like you can whisk them away to one of Houston’s finest restaurants. Never fear, my friend — the Thresher has your back. We have researched some of the best dates in Houston. Let’s just put it this way: The only thing that will be better than your day/evening will be your night.

1. Cookin’ Up Some Romance

Cooking Classes at Central Market

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="bc64ab5a-6501-11e4-9747-0017a43b2370"}}

You’ve seen it a million times in romantic comedies. He leans over her, helping her stir. She wipes a bit of flour off of her lips. Classy cooking is all romance. Not only is taking a cooking class with your sweetheart a fun and romantic experience, but you will also learn some useful skills for when you inevitably become a real adult without a meal plan. Central Market, a high-end grocery store in River Oaks, regularly hosts a variety of reasonably-priced cooking classes. You can register online at their website: http://www.centralmarket.com/cooking-school.aspx. You should book far in advance, as classes fill up fast.

2. I’d [Hike] the Distance for You

Hiking through Houston Arboretum and Nature Center

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1926c4c2-6502-11e4-a23a-0017a43b2370"}}

If you’re the outdoorsy type, lace up some hiking boots and take your date on a fall hike through the beautiful Houston Arboretum and Nature Center in Memorial Park. The 155-acre nature sanctuary is quiet, peaceful and home to a variety of plants and animals. Go bird watching, have a picnic or tackle the five miles of trails free of charge. Find more info about the Arboretum at their website: 

http://houstonarboretum.org/about

3. You Make Me Feel Like Dancin’  

Live Music at the Continental Club

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4b54e78a-6502-11e4-a6f0-0017a43b2370"}}

The Continental Club is one of Houston’s worst-kept secrets. The upclass Midtown dive bar touts a sultry atmosphere, an impressive drink list and, best of all, great live music. The cover charge is typically $10 on weekend nights, but the club doesn’t charge a separate admission fee to see the bands. Music varies in genre from jazz to country to rock and more, and from Grammy-nominated artists to local bands. No matter what’s playing, you’ll have more than enough excuses to pull your date in for a dance. This is sure to be the classiest night you’ll ever have in Midtown. Find the band schedule and more info at their website: 

http://www.continentalclub.com/Houston.html

4. Pier into My Eyes

Romantic Evening on the Kemah Boardwalk

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7b5f00fa-6502-11e4-b6d9-0017a43b2370"}}

It’s everything you always thought your first date would be: You hold hands as you zip through a carnival ride, your stomach jumping into your chest. He shoots a bottle down, winning you a giant teddy bear that you cart around the rest of the night with pride. You walk down the pier, eating cotton candy, and share a moonlit kiss to the natural melody of the waves. All is possible at the Kemah Boardwalk, arguably one of the most romantic spots in the city.

This 60-acre complex, only 30 miles southeast of downtown Houston, is home to beautiful carnival lights, amusement park rides, shopping, arcade games, restaurants, boat rides and much more. There is no admission fee, and entertainment is cheap and abundant. This is a perfect date for the nostalgic romantic. Find more details at the website: 

http://www.kemahboardwalk.com

5. Splurge: Baby, You Take Me to New Heights

Air Balloon Rides over Houston

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="ac3ba8ea-6502-11e4-b0d7-0017a43b2370"}}

Okay, warning: This one’s a bit pricey. This is the date for the guy/girl who wants to propose, screwed up big time or has been saving since age three. However, when the time is right, take your sweetheart on an air balloon ride at sunset around the beautiful Katy/West Houston area. Rides are about an hour long — the perfect amount of time to charm your S.O. in a cozy setting. Again, at $250 a passenger, this experience costs a pretty penny, but you’re sure to make a memory that will stay with you forever. Rides are booked through Air Texas Balloon Adventures. Find more information at their website: http://www.airtexasballoon.com

All illustrations by Claire Elestwani and Carrie Jiang