SA Blanket Tax Committee convenes

By Julianne Wey     10/28/14 4:20pm

The members of the Student Association Blanket Tax Standing Committee have been finalized and will review organizations receiving blanket-tax funding. 

As of Oct. 8, appointed members include Lovett College freshman Andy Yuwen, McMurtry College sophomore Giray Ozseker and Jones College sophomore Akeem Ogunkeye. 

The blanket tax organization officers are Duncan College senior and University Court Chair Brian Baran and Martel College junior and Rice Program Council Treasurer Ronald Foo. 

SA Treasurer Joan Liu said the Committee is currently working on submissions and meetings with organizations.

“Our next steps are to meet with each organization’s president, treasurer and sponsor to discuss the submitted documents and any questions the committee has for the organization,” Liu, a Jones sophomore, said. 

Liu said the Committee is responsible for conducting the annual review of all organizations receiving blanket tax funding. The Committee is also responsible for accessing proposals to increase or decrease existing blanket tax allocations. 

“We are also responsible for providing the Student Association with an understanding and evaluation of how subsidiary organizations’ operations and use of student funding aligns with their individual missions and purposes as well as with the interests of the student body and the Rice University community,” Liu said. 

In light of the ongoing Honor Council contingency process, Liu said she does not anticipate any major changes. 

“We, as a committee, will review all organizations to the best of our ability in accordance with the Student Association Constitution, and I am confident the blanket tax organizations will do their best to follow the process constitutionally,” Liu said.

Baran expressed a similar opinion. 

“While the Committee will be aware of the outcome of the contingency process for Honor Council, its review will be conducted in the same manner as the review for any other subsidiary organization,” Baran said.