Registration prioritizes students needing LPAP

By Anita Alem     4/12/14 3:44pm

Initiating in fall 2014, the Esther Course Registration planner will give students who have not taken a Lifetime Physical Activity Program course additional priority within their registration group when registering for one, according to Vice President for Administration of the Office of the Registrar David Tenney (Sid ‘87).

“The Academics Committee of the Student Association forwarded to us a report on fall registration, based on student survey input,” Tenney said. “It included several recommendations, such as more emphasis being placed on getting instructors to post their course syllabus online, et cetera. One area of requested enhancement was to prioritize LPAP registration so that seniors who have not completed an LPAP are ensured enrollment in an LPAP.”

Tenney said he shared the report with Administrative Systems, which manages registration on Esther, and the group implemented the changes.

“A desired impact of this change, as noted in the SA report, will be that rising seniors should have a better chance of getting a needed or desired LPAP over a student that already has one or more LPAPs in their academic history,” Tenney said.

Those in a lower registration group than seniors will still have lower priority than seniors who have taken more than one LPAP.

According to Tenney, the overall registration process for continuing students will be identical to that of the last couple of years, with the initial prioritized registration, and the secondary, staggered opening of the add/drop period.

To bike or not to bike? Beer Bike 2024 sees tents, possible wind

This year’s Beer Bike took place Saturday, April 6. After a seven-minute delay, the alumni races began, followed by the women’s and then the men’s. For the second year in a row, each of the races were divided into two heats. As usual, the times from both heats will be compared, along with calculated penalties, by the Rice Program Council to determine final results. Results are not available at time of publication, and the campus-wide Beer Bike coordinators did not provide a timeline for when they will be.