Women’s tennis goes undefeated over weekend

By Julie Doar     3/18/14 4:48pm

The Rice University women’s tennis team headed to New Orleans, La. last weekend for two matches. While there, the team beat Georgia State University and Tulane University 5-2 and 4-0, respectively. 

The Rice University women’s tennis team headed to New Orleans, La. last weekend for two matches. While there, the team beat Georgia State University and Tulane University 5-2 and 4-0, respectively. The team has won three consecutive matches and holds a current record of 9-5. Next Tuesday, the team will play University of Missouri, Columbia at home and then travel to Williamsburg, Va. to face the College of William & Mary and Yale University next weekend.

Head Coach Elizabeth Schmidt said she was proud of the team’s most recent performance. She said she was pleased the team was able to gain a victory despite the different routine, which involved starting with singles instead of doubles.

“It was good to see the team be adaptable today,” Schmidt said. “Starting with singles is different, but they didn’t miss a beat. Overall, it was a solid weekend, and we are proud of the fight our team showed.”

Senior Dominique Harmath said she was pleased with the team’s recent winning streak. According to Harmath, the team has been focusing well and taking advantage of their opportunities.

“We are happy with our wins and plan on continuing the focus we have to extend our winning streak,” Harmath said. “The team has done a great job zoning in and capitalizing on opportunities during matches.”

Rice has a free weekend before they face Missouri, which currently has a 5-3 record. After facing the University of Missouri next Tuesday, Rice will face Yale University and the College of William & Mary in the same weekend. Yale is ranked No. 50 in the nation and has a current record of 5-6. William & Mary has an overall record of 3-10.

Harmath said the team is eager to travel to Virginia but is primarily focused on the immediate future.

“We are excited to travel to Virginia in two weeks to play Yale and William & Mary,” Harmath said. “But our primary focus at the moment is our upcoming home match against Missouri next Tuesday.”

Thus far in the season, Rice has been unable to secure more than three consecutive victories. The team has an opportunity this Tuesday to win a fourth game and break this record. 

Harmath said she believes in the team’s ability to meet its goals and put in their best effort in each and every match. According to Harmath, the team has potential, talent and an incredibly strong work ethic.

“Our objective is to put it all on the court every match,” Harmath said. “Our team is full of fighters and we work hard day in, day out to make our team goals a reality.”