Monday, April 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 70°

SA Meeting Minutes

By Rice Thresher Staff     11/5/13 6:00pm

• SA President Yoonjin Min announced that the Student Senate postponed its vote on a resolution proposing a guarantee of on-campus housing to first-year transfer students to next week in order to give students more time to discuss the resolution within their colleges.
  • SA Internal Vice President Nathan Liu gathered feedback on holding Senate meetings in the residential colleges. Some students said holding meetings in the colleges would make them more accessible, but other students said they were concerned with the confusion that could arise from not having a consistent meeting place. Send any feedback to njl3@rice.edu.

• Min announced that nominations for Homecoming King and Queen will be accepted until Friday, Nov. 8 at 11:59 p.m. The nomination form can be found at sa.rice.edu/homecoming.
  • SA Parliamentarian Brian Baran said the Committee on Constitutional Revisions will present a draft of its proposed revisions to the portions of the SA constitution governing blanket tax organizations and the blanket tax review process at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11 in Farnsworth Pavilion.
  • The SA will next meet Monday, Nov. 11 in Farnsworth Pavilion at 8 p.m. Min said the Senate is meeting an hour earlier than usual to avoid a scheduling conflict with Mr. Rice, which will take place at 9 p.m. in the Rice Memorial Center Grand Hall.

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall. 

Millora-Brown to transfer; Kreider to leave for new job

Rice men’s basketball will experience a shakeup in both its player roster and staff next year. According to multiple anonymous sources, freshman center Quentin Millora-Brown has entered the NCAA transfer portal with intent to transfer and assistant coach Chris Kreider has left his position to join Georgia State University as an assistant coach.