Thursday, April 25, 2019 — Houston, TX 81°

Power outage plagues campus

By Thresher Editorial Staff     11/12/13 6:00pm

The power went out across campus around 6:40 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 12, and according to Facilities Engineering & Planning a cat could be to blame. Michael Tomongha, FE&P Lead Plant Operator, said that CenterPoint Energy told FE&P that a cat climbed up to a transformer and caused damage, resulting in the power outage. 

CenterPoint Energy representative Alicia Dixon was unable to confirm that a cat had been involved. 

"There was an equipment malfunction at a nearby substation," Dixon said. "That caused the power outage."

According to CenterPoint Energy, more than 8,000 customers in the Rice University, Montrose, Midtown and Museum District areas reported power-loss. Power was restored to campus around 7:45 p.m.

Ktru Outdoor Show delivers eight hours of sunny entertainment

On Saturday, the Central Quad came alive as a multitude of students and community members gathered on picnic blankets for the 28th annual ktru outdoor show. The show, lasting eight total hours, featured a diverse mix of acts from the quirky indie duo Coco & Clair Clair to the intimidating performance of Kilo Kish. 

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall.