Monday, April 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 70°

Annise Parker for Houston mayor

By Rice Thresher Staff     10/31/13 7:00pm

Throughout her two terms as Houston's mayor, Annise Parker has advanced the city of Houston in countless ways. Her recent Complete Streets and Transportation Plan is just one of the many steps she has taken toward improving the infrastructure of Houston, and her efforts to reduce crime and other social problems are admirable. These improvements, including the expansion of the METRORail, combined with Parker's focus on the job market and quality of life, have helped put Houston back on the map as a great city in the United States. 

In addition to her many achievements as the mayor of Houston, Parker has the most city government experience out of the candidates, and this experience has already proved important in helping her make innovative, principled decisions. Furthermore, as a Rice University graduate and native Houstonian, her devotion to the Houston community is clear. Parker should be provided the opportunity to continue her work in improving the city, and the Rice Thresher therefore endorses her candidacy for mayor of Houston.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the Thresher editorial staff. All other opinion pieces represent solely the opinion of the

piece's author.

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall. 

Millora-Brown to transfer; Kreider to leave for new job

Rice men’s basketball will experience a shakeup in both its player roster and staff next year. According to multiple anonymous sources, freshman center Quentin Millora-Brown has entered the NCAA transfer portal with intent to transfer and assistant coach Chris Kreider has left his position to join Georgia State University as an assistant coach.