Players take on tragedies of Rabbit Hole

4d6dfc43bc60ca09f74c53b0401797c3

By Sophie Newman     10/8/13 7:00pm

Tragedy is a familiar theme in the realm of theater, but few plots center on the aftermath of tragedy, rather than the action of it. Rabbit Hole, a 2005 play written by David Lindsay-Abaire that both won the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Drama and was turned into a hit 2010 drama starring Nicole Kidman (Moulin Rouge!), achieves just this. The Rice Players' Rabbit Hole, directed by Rice Players alum Rob Kimbro and produced by Hanszen College senior Michael Hollis, opened Thursday, Oct. 3.

In Rabbit Hole, a young couple mourns the death of their 4-year-old son Danny. Laughter, anger and grief all intermingle in this bittersweet family drama that portrays how the mourning of a lost loved one affects relationships between family members. The Rice Players cast and crew successfully create a strong dynamic in their portrayal of the intense family bonds resonant within the melancholy world of this modern tragedy.

The details of the accident that killed Danny unfold with the plot, and as time passes, tempers rise. The cast, which performs well overall, is most vivid when angry, and the tense and heated conversations, especially in the second half of the play, draw the audience further into this complicated world. 

Jones College senior Hayley Jones plays Becca, the mother of a recently deceased child who is still having trouble coping with memories of her son that linger in their house and instead tries to hide all evidence of her son to avoid facing the pain of his absence. Jones is strong in her portrayal of Becca, especially in the emotionally intense latter half of the production. She fills the shoes of Becca well, and her character development is consistent and convincing. Although she puts on a solid performance throughout the play, her acting is most dynamic when she is angry or passionate. 

McMurtry College sophomore Rachel Landsman is a suitable Izzy, the classic naive younger sibling who is living out her rebellious years with considerable enthusiasm. Aside from her blunt humor, it is hard to like Izzy as a character because she is self-centered and unsympathetic to her sister's state of mind. Landsman does her job satisfactorily but does not add much to the dynamics of the play and is a little forgettable as a character. At times, she is perhaps too thorough in her portrayal of emotion to the point that

it feels insincere. 

Duncan College junior Jake LaViola was expertly cast as Howie, the supportive, yet weary, husband. Despite the tragic role, LaViola's keen sense of humor keeps his relationship with Becca engaging, and his subtle mannerisms lend authenticity to his words and actions. LaViola further maintains an impressive ability to command the stage without overshadowing the other actors in his scenes. That he truly cares about Becca and her troubles is difficult to doubt.

The final member of the family, Nat, played by Fondren Library Serials Catalog Librarian Alice Rhoades, is the mother of Izzy and Becca. Rhoades adopts the character of Nat perfectly; her comic timing is spot-on, and she keeps the play moving with her ease of wit. She does an exceptional job in a memorable scene in which Rhoades and Jones pack away the child's things, carrying out a heart-

wrenching conversation with ease and

conviction.

The cast is not alone; it is supported of course by a crew and direction that benefit the drama of the play. The lighting and set design lend a certain intimacy to the actors and audience. The set is a highly ambitious, completely student-made replica of a two-story house, complete with carpeting, moulding, hardwood floors, light fixtures and a pantry full of homemade desserts. Its effect is strong: it is elaborate enough to be convincing, but simple enough not to detract from the action onstage. The decision to remove the need for set changes during scene transitions allows the play to progress more quickly and prevents the audience from disengaging

with the story.

Some of the props, however, can be distracting. There are a lot of food items that have to be carefully served and consumed, detracting from the dialogue. The idea of the characters carrying out everyday activities is appropriate for a play based on daily life, but in this case, the props may be a bit much. Contrastingly, an intelligent sound design features music that is appropriately bluesy.

Kimbro, who has previously directed Dog Sees God, Macbeth, Postmortem, Betrayal and Rough Crossing at Rice University, does a solid job of bringing out the drama in this story and creating a smoothly executed production. The Rice Players' Rabbit Hole, though not always perfect, is nevertheless a stirring portrayal of tragedy in its aftermath.

The final performances of Rabbit Hole are Thursday through Satuday, Oct. 10-12, at 8 p.m. in Hamman Hall.