Amy Czyz: In the goal

By Michael Kidd     9/30/13 7:00pm

I sat down with Amy Czyz, captain of the Rice Owls soccer team, for a casual interview regarding her soccer play and her favorite things about Rice. Czyz, a junior, has started every game behind the goal since freshman year. She is a sports management major from Dansville, Calif. She said she is excited about the opportunity to compete for another Conference USA women's soccer championship.

When did you start playing soccer? 

I started when I was 5 years old. It was one of those things my mom got me into when I was younger, and my brother played soccer, too. I've pretty much always been in the goal. I just got put in it, and it went from there.

What is your favorite thing about soccer? 

I think I like how unpredictable it is. Soccer's not like football or basketball where you run plays; it's unique in the fact that you really don't know what you're going to get. It keeps you on your toes. 

What has been your favorite moment so far in your college career? What are your expectations for this season? 

Definitely winning the conference championship last year. That was pretty exciting. We are beginning conference play this weekend, and the expectation is to go out and win another soccer championship. I think if our team plays the way we did last year, we have a good shot. 

So what about Rice made you decide on playing your collegiate soccer here? 

I definitely ended up at Rice because I wanted to find a school that balanced good academics and good soccer. Rice was the perfect balance between the two.

Switching gears, what is your favorite thing about Head Coach Nicky Adams? What do you think she has taught you?  

She knows the game really well and is very passionate about the game. She cares a lot about us and about the program, and she is definitely a key factor in taking this program in the right direction. Nicky has definitely taught me a lot about growing into a leadership role. As a player, I think I've learned a lot about my own game and the game of the girls around me. I've learned how to get the best out of them as well. I'm more focused on the team aspect now than I was coming in. 

Is there a certain quote or motto that you live your life by, either on the soccer field or in your everyday life? 

I don't think I really have a specific motto that I live by, but I'd have to say just to make every day the best it can be, and take it one day at a time. 

So if you could sit down for dinner with any two soccer players in the world, who would they be, and why? 

Definitely Hope Solo. Obviously because of her position as goalie and because she's an intriguing person to me. Also Abby Wambach because she's the center of the women's game. She's done a lot of things and has been successful in women's soccer. 

What are you striving to achieve after you leave Rice? 

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do, but I'm definitely not opposed to staying in soccer. Whether that means working with Nike or Adidas or playing with a team, I'd be OK with that. Anything dealing with sports.

This interview has been edited for clarity and length.

7.5% acceptance rate marks lowest in Rice history

Rice admitted 2,439 students from 32,459 applicants March 26, according to Vice President for Enrollment Yvonne Romero da Silva. With a 7.5% admit rate, this is the third consecutive year of record-low acceptance rates. The Thresher previously reported 7.7% and 8.56% acceptance rates for the Class and 2027 and 2026 respectively.