SA Meeting Minutes

By Rice Thresher Staff     4/18/13 7:00pm

The following were noted at the meeting of the Student Association on Apr. 15.

SA Treasurer Michael Pan presented a summary of the proposed SA budget with a breakdown of 2012-13 revenues and expenditures, as well as a tentative breakdown of 2013-14 expenditures. The budget will be revisited and approved in the fall.

New Student Representatives Nitin Agrawal and Hannah Chen discussed feedback from the recent spring registration process. Problems that were identified include unequal caps for cross-listed classes, lack of options for designating alternate courses, and challenges for students wishing to graduate early caused by the matriculation-based priority system. Agrawal and Chen will bring ideas for improvements back to the SA Academics Committee, including moving the initial add/drop window from early morning to late evening, allowing students to drop classes before the add window opens, and implementing a hybrid system with priority determined by credit hours within each matriculation year. Send comments and suggestions to nitin.agrawal@rice.edu or hannah.chen@rice.edu.

SA Student Life Standing Committee Chair Min Ji Kim announced that Fondren Library will have extended hours during the finals period. It will be open from Sunday, April 21 at 8 a.m. until Wednesday, May 1 at 9 p.m. Use of the library during the added hours will be considered in determining whether a 24/7 system during finals may be permanently implemented next year.

Will Rice College freshman Cynthia Bau is looking into the possibility of Housing and Dining providing food at North and Seibel Serveries for dinner on Saturday, April 27. The cost would be around $2 per student, which could be paid via tetra points. "Like" your college senators' posts on Facebook to help them gauge student interest. Send suggestions to cb19@rice.edu.

Varsity Student Liaisons Will Maxwell and Renee Anderson introduced the Rally Club, a newly revived student club aimed at increasing student support for Rice Athletics across campus. The club will launch a reward system during Orientation Week 2013 under which students can swipe their ID at athletics events to earn points redeemable for Rice merchandise. There will also be a website where students can check their points balance.

This was the last SA meeting of the school year. The SA will next meet Monday, August 26 in Farnsworth Pavilion at 9 p.m.