Gym Rats: The Recreation Center's Most Frequent Visitors

bc4afd27409bb511663419ead9a225e6

By Reed Thornburg     4/12/12 7:00pm

While almost everyone has been to Rice's Recreation and Wellness Center, few of us call it home. Unnoticed by most, a small group of dedicated Rice students commit to a highly rigorous training and physical fitness schedule without the motivation of an NCAA Division I scholarship. While these "student-athletes" do not report to Tudor Fieldhouse, they return to the Rec Center almost daily with a similarly passionate dedication.

One such student exists in Hanszen College freshman Brian Behring. He finds motivation in his overall desire to continually improve as a triathlete. He keeps a strict workout schedule and breaks his training down into two seasons: offseason preparation and seasonal competition.

"[Currently], I am doing more sport specific training," said Behring. "[Such as] circuit training in the weight room, and cardio five to six days a week, like running the outer loop. I am trying to improve endurance and speed and get lean to improve race performance."

Like many other students committed to physical fitness, Brian's dedication extends outside of the gym and into the servery. In our interview, he stressed the importance of eating well and following basic nutritional guidelines.

"I follow the plate method recommended by many dieticians," explained Behring. "[This includes] a quarter plate of protein, a quarter plate of complex carbohydrates like sweet potatoes and whole grain pasta, and finally a half-plate of fruits and vegetables."

Wiess College senior Ellie Matzner also has built quite a reputation for her countless hours spent training in the Rec Center. Matzner works as a Power Fitness instructor in the Rec Center, a position she uses to inspire her love of fitness in others.

"Girls are scared to get bulky through CrossFit," said Matzner. Her response to these girls: "Look at me."

Similar to Behring, Matzner also highlights the importance of nutrition for maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle. While she opposes supplements, Matzner is quick to endorse what is known as a "Paleolithic Diet." While the general premise involves avoiding carbohydrates and processed foods, Matzner is always happy to talk about the specifics in p e r s o n . However, for quick tips, she directed us to the Rice Power Fitness website, where the staff highlights some basic elements of their nutritional philosophy.

"Eat enough to sustain physical activity," the website reads. "For those of you doing CrossFit workouts several times a week, this is going to mean you are going to have to eat a massive amount of food. Eat when you're hungry and eat until you feel full."

Nutrition serves to highlight just how deep this commitment to physical fitness runs in these athletes. Although it starts in the gym, it quickly turns into a powerful lifestyle choice. As both Behring and Matzner demonstrate, with the proper motivations it is indeed possible to remain on a rigid workout schedule throughout your time at Rice.

What stands out most in these gym frequenters is their continued work ethic throughout the year. Some students make New Year's resolutions, and keep their promises until the end of January, but these select few make their comm i t m e n t s and remain dedicated throughout the year.

T h e s e Rec Center regulars make the casual "Nod-Bod" crowd cringe in fear. They return to their workouts long after the month of October, and they remain steadfast in their commitment to staying healthy. Be sure to take a look around the gym next time you visit; chances are good that you will see these faces.

Andrew Clark and Seth Davis contributed to this article.

To suggest a Gym Rat or comment on the article, please email Thresher Features at thresher-features@rice.edu.