Saturday, April 20, 2019 — Houston, TX 60°

Ask the Thresher

By Thresher Editorial Staff     11/29/11 6:00pm

Dear Athena and Ares,

I really like a guy, but I don't think he sees me in the same way. I think he sees me as a friend who he can fool around with occasionally with no consequences. What a jerk. Should I have ‘a talk' with him? Or is that too stereotypically psycho girl?

Sincerely,

Trying Not To Make Things Worse

The first thing you need to do is figure out what you want. You say you really like this guy, but then you say he's a jerk. Are you sure you don't just think you like him because you're already hooking up with him? If you realize that you are, in fact, settling for him because he's convenient, then you should end all casual fooling around, especially because it seems to be bothering you. You definitely deserve someone more committed if that's what you're looking for, and this casual relationship should not prevent you from achieving that. That being said, there is nothing wrong with having a casual relationship but being friends. Just remember that open communication is important, and making sure you're both comfortable with a casual situation is a must.

At the same time, if you decide you really like this guy, then communication really is the best option. Yes, some guys panic when they hear the phrase "Can we talk?," but in the end it will be for the best. Who knows? He might end up liking you as much as you like him. Ultimately, if you do really like this guy, he should be someone you can talk to and who listens to what you have to say and how you feel, so "the talk" could be the beginning of a really good relationship. And if he does freak out or take "the talk" poorly, then he probably wasn't worth liking anyway.

— Athena

I am somewhat confused about who would be a "stereotypically psycho girl." I have met many crazy girls in my lifetime, as well as crazy men, but for one to be a psycho girl I would imagine she would need to do something like carry an axe around muttering in  a strange language because that's what the squirrels told her to do. Having a "talk" with this boy might not be the best idea, but I doubt it would make you a "psycho girl." Unless you are planning to slobber a lot and sing the theme  from the Flinstones at random during your conversation.

That being said, talking is not the option you should pursue. Perhaps the conversation will go in your favor, but perhaps it will not. Instead , you need to control the situation. Instead of simply expressing your idea to him, you should make him think that being together is his idea.

Start flirting a lot and almost hook up with him. Emphasis on the word almost. If you do things without asking for something in return, then you will never get anything in return. You should make it clear that there is a lot he could be getting, but that he will have to work for it. He will begin to realize that you are worth going after and will start treating you with more respect. Or he will find another girl who will cost him little effort and leave you by the wayside, but then it was probably time for you to go play the field anyway.

— Ares

"Ask the Thresher" is an advice column written twice a month, authored by two Thresher editorial staff members. Readers can email their letters to AskTheThresher@gmail.com or submit their questions through formspring at AskTheThresher.

SA General Elections rerun results in different outcome

The Student Association General Elections rerun resulted in a win for Ravi Sheth, a write-in candidate. Sheth, a Martel College junior, ran in the SA General Elections after the first election was appealed and ruled “partially invalid” by the University Court.The Student Association Elections Committee reran the General Elections and merged it with the previously scheduled SA Internal Vice President Elections. The rerun elections closed Feb. 28 at 11:59 p.m.Sheth said he was excited and humbled by the amount of support he got as a write-in candidate. He also said he was impressed with the level of voter turnout from the entire student body.“I think there was 1636 votes; that’s more than was seen in 2009, and [I think the turnout in 2009 was more than Rice] had seen in a decade, so this might be one of the highest voter turnout elections in Rice history,” Sheth said. “I’m really excited to see that level of student involvement and turnout, and I think it puts the [Student Association] in a really great position because we now have the attention and the engagement of the student body and I think that will really allow us to do great things over the next year.”Sheth will assume the role of SA president at Changeover on Monday, March 10. He said he already has ideas about what he wants to do during his term.“I have a list [of things I’d like to get accomplished in the next year], but I think a lot of them need to have buy-in from different parties before we officially announce them,” Sheth said. “I will be opening up creative proposals for something to do with the SA iPad because that should never have been bought with student money, so we’ll find something productive and good to do with it.”SA presidential candidate Trent Navran, who won the original election, said he was frustrated by the decision to rerun the election. He said he was initially disappointed by the outcome of the most recent election, but ultimately feels confident that Sheth will be a good SA president.“I was really impressed to see the energy that Ravi helped excite on campus, and the fact that so many people were talking about elections and that there was so much buzz was exciting,” Navran said. “As a friend and as someone who I’ve worked with, I think Ravi will make a fantastic president. I’m very proud of him and I look forward to working with him in a lot of capacities.”Although he did not win this election, Navran said he learned a lot about himself during the elections process, and he will use that insight to continue serving the Rice student body in other ways.“President or not, I’m really excited because I know I can still make a big impact on campus,” Navran said. “I’m going to be focusing a lot on social innovation and social entrepreneurship, which is something that happens a lot at Rice, but I want to work to build more of an identity and more programming and resources around that. It’s something I’ve cared about and expressed recently in my campaign, but I think I have valued and will now be able to focus on as a senior.”Baker College junior Abby Gordon won the race for SA Internal Vice President. The remainder of the items on the ballot were also rerun. A full list of the results, according to an email sent to the Rice community by current SA President Yoonjin Min, can be see below. ReferendumsThe referendum on the Ratification of the SA Constitution passed.The referendum on the Honor Council’s Proposed Constitutional Amendment passed.The referendum on the Rice Environmental Society’s Proposed New Blanket Tax failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.The referendum on Rice Catalyst’s Proposed New Blanket Tax without the Sunset Clause failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.The referendum on Rice Catalyst’s Proposed New Blanket Tax with the Sunset Clause failed, because it failed to get a majority in favor that was greater than two thirds of votes cast on the item.Elections for positionsRavi Sheth won the election for Student Association President.Abby Gordon won the election for Student Association Internal Vice President.Amritha Kanakamedala won the election for Student Association External Vice President.Olivia Hsia won the election for Student Association Secretary.Joan Liu won the election for Student Association Treasurer.Cathy Hu and Pooja Yesantharao won the election for RSVP Chair.Joann Pan won the election for RSVP Internal Vice Chair.Brian Baran won the election for University Court Chair.Aisha Jeeva won the election for Rice Program Council President.Sal Tijerina won the election for KTRU Station Manager.Miles Kruppa won the election for Thresher Editor-in-Chief.Rachel Gray won the election for RTV5 Station Manager.Lauren Thompson won the election for RTV5 Program Director.Julia Liu and Isabelle Lelogeais won the election for Honor Council Senior Class Representative.Michael Williams Hart, Josiah Grace and Seth Lauer won the election for Honor Council Junior Class Representative.Claire Bonnyman and Luke Van Der Spoel won the election for Honor Council Sophomore Class Representative.

Affirmation: The Future of Admissions

Fisher v. The University of Texas has revived one of the most polemical debates in America: whether race can be used as a factor in admissions to institutes of higher education. This issue undoubtedly resonates at Rice University, which, like most American universities, factors an applicant's ethnicity when selecting its freshman class. While the arguments concerning affirmative action are widely known, a true understanding of the issue requires both legal and historical background.