RechargeU hours extended

By Molly Chiu     9/14/11 7:00pm

Students looking for an after-dinner snack just got another option. For the week of Oct. 2-8, RechargeU, the campus convenience store located in the Rice Memorial Center, is extending its hours for a trial "Student Hours Week."

During this trial, RechargeU will be open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday, 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Saturday and 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday.

According to Store Manager Tim Jackson, the trial hours were decided after working closely with the Student Association for the past few months to gather student opinion through surveys on how to best meet campus needs.

"During the trial week, we're going to look at how much product we sell and when peak hours are," Jackson said. "We'll then take that information back to the SA to let them know the hours that work and finalize a schedule."

Currently, RechargeU is open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5p.m. Saturdays and 12 a.m. to 5p.m. on Sundays. Jackson said that RechargeU has been using the first few weeks of the semester to gauge what the Rice community wants.

"We're trying to get enough products to sell and enough staff to work the extended hours," Jackson said. "It's trial and error. Things like sandwich and breakfast items are selling out quickly, but we're going to keep ordering more until we get the right number."

SA President Georgia Lagoudas said she has enjoyed working with Jackson and is pleased with the adjustments he is making based on student feedback.

"We have stressed the importance of staying open past dinner to provide students with an alternative food option during that time," Lagoudas said. "Over the past few weeks, Tim has adjusted to stay open later on Saturdays."

Brown College sophomore Shelley Reese said that she is happy that RechargeU will be open later.

"Students have hectic schedules," Reese said. "I like to have places on campus to get food that are open when dinner hours are over."

Rice SJP hosts protest in response to S.RES 02 tabling

Rice Students for Justice in Palestine staged a  walkout and protest in response to the tabling of S.RES 02, a resolution that proposed a divestment of student funds to Israel-aligned companies, outside the Allen Center, April 12. The protest occurred during Owl Days, when prospective students were touring the campus.