Outreach Day a success

By Staff Editorial     8/24/11 7:00pm

This past O-Week, Rice extended its long established tradition of reaching out to the community and serving the needy (see story, pg. 5). Outreach Day was a vast success; it drew 488 new students to a myriad of projects around Houston. The number of participants exceeds that of any past Outreach Day. Furthermore, 88 percent of those students who signed up for a project actually participated — an incredible ratio when factors such as peer pressure to attend Dis-O and fatigue from a long O-week are considered.

The success of this Outreach Day sets the stage for a potential expansion of the program. Outreach administrators should ride this wave of excitment and heavily advertise for the next Outreach Day to be held in November. Furthermore, project expansions should be considered. While the turnout among new students was high, many sites became full within the first days of O-Week. Opening more slots and introducing new projects would allow the inclusion of all interested students. In choosing these new topics, Outreach Day leaders should consider the viability of certain projects. Projects that involve rigorous outdoor physical activity should be reconsidered in the blistering Houston summer heat. While it is true that students are warned about rigorous conditions before signing up for a project, it would increase the chances that students are happier with their project if they are not faced with grueling conditions. All in all, Outreach Day is quickly becoming a symbol of Rice's commitment to bettering the Houston community, and the Thresher looks forward to see the program continue to progress in the future.

Honor at Rice is in jeopardy

I decided to go to Rice in part because I was told that this university had a unique culture of honor, trust and freedom. The honor system is one of Rice’s longest-standing traditions, created by the first class in 1912. I joined the Honor Council four years ago because I believed that students, rather than faculty or administration, should keep other students accountable and that their cases be heard by their peers.