Beyond the Hedges

National

Obama releases birth certificate to public

On April 27, President Obama's full certificate of live birth was released to the media by the White House. A standard short form certificate was digitally released back in 2008 by Obama' s staff members on his website "Fight the Smears," but was dismissed by "Birthers" as inauthentic. With American business mogul and potential Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on their side, the "Birthers" have long questioned Obama's birth status as an American, and in turn, Obama's eligibility to serve as president. According to the New York Times, the accusations had extended beyond the Internet and to the "mainstream political arena." Also, a survey from the New York Times said that two weeks ago almost 25 percent of Americans believed that Obama was born somewhere other than in the United States. Obama spoke shortly after the document's release: "I am confident that the American people and America's political leaders can come together in a bipartisan way and solve these problems. We always have. But we're not going to be able to do it if we are distracted."
Source: Wall Street Journal, Associated Press

International

Osama bin Laden killed in Pakistan hideout
On May 1, in the Pakistani city of Abbottabad, Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed in a 40 minute operation ("Operation Geronimo") by a Joint Special Operations team of approximately 25 Navy Seals and the CIA. Based on a tip received in August, the U.S. discovered Osama in a $1 million, high-security compound less than 100 miles from the capital of Pakistan. Bin Laden had been fleeing capture for 10 years by hiding in the mountains somewhere in Afghanistan. He first escaped from Tora Bora in eastern Afghanistan. CIA director Leon Panetta confirmed that the U.S. chose not to share information with Pakistan, fearing bin Laden could be tipped off. President Obama confirmed Osama's death the same night, remarking that "Justice has been done." According to a government official, Osama bin Laden has been buried at sea in accordance with Islamic practice; the White House has stated that they will not release pictures of the terrorist leader's corpse.
Source: ABC News, BBC News