Beyond the Hedges

National

US Government narrowly avoids shut down

The Obama administration and Congress came to a budget agreement on Friday night only an hour before the midnight deadline. A spending bill was passed that includes a nearly $39 billion decrease in estimated discretionary spending, a cut that Obama characterized as the largest annual spending cut in history. Had the government shutdown occured, approximately 800,000 federal workers would have been furloughed, National parks would have closed and all government contractors would not have been paid.

Source: Christian Science Monitor, Pittsburg Tribune

"I just thought it was somewhat embarrassing that they couldn't come to any sort of consensus. Personally, I would rather see Congressmen from both parties be willing to give in when it is necessary, rather than stick to their guns so much just to prove that they have strong opinions. Also, weren't they supposed to pass this budget like 6 months ago?"

Fran Iyer, McMurtry College sophomore

International

Violence on Ivory Coast with new President

The very day that Ivory Coast President Alassane Outtara started his rule, plundering and gunfire filled the streets of Abidjan, the commercial capitol of the country. Backed by the Republican Forces, Ouattara has deployed soldiers in an effort to restore public order. This chaos follows a civil war that ended with a 10 day battle. Some of the looting has allegedly been carried out by militias and thieves loyal to former leader Laurent Gbagbo. UN emergency relief coordinator Valerie Amos estimated that the Ivory Coast requires $300 million in emergency aid.